Wednesday, December 5, 2007

December 5th Letter

Hello all!

Wow, yesterday was zone conference and yes, it was amazing!

The morning session was focused on the Atonement and what it means in our lives.
It really was a thought provoking experience. And helped me only begin to
understand the importance of the Atonement.

Each of missionary is to write a three to five minute talk that we could be
called on to give at some point during conference. As I sat and wrote the talk,
the underlying theme that kept coming back to me was the process of change
through the power of Atonement. (p.s. Everyone should read Pres Faust's article
in the November Ensign. I think that is a precious treasure.)

This has really been the most important thing I have been learning on my mission
up to this date. I have learned that we all have weaknesses and need to change.
I have learned the importance of changing and of becoming a better person. A
person who is loved by others and loves others. A person who makes other people
want to do better not through harsh words, but rather through their quiet
example and loving kindness. I have learned the power of Charity in change. I
think all of us know of one almost perfect example in this area. It would be
mom.

I can never remember a time when mom said a harsh, mean word to me. But I can
think of millions of lessons she has taught me. I was trying to think of...
1.how it was that she taught me these experiences, 2. how it was that I had
learned so much from her, 3. why it was that now as I am on my mission and am
trying to encourage my companions to get out of bed or to leave the house or
talk to that person that I think hmm, what would mom do to get me up, get me
going, get me talking, and then I try to do just that.

My first and second move call I relied too much on saying not so kind things and
trying to motivate out of guilt. That lead to nothing, but misery and
resentment. These last 2 move calls, I have focused more on not saying anything,
but doing those things myself and making it fun. Thinking of the silly things
mom does and trying them myself and guess what? this has lead to change, love,
and happiness!

I am thankful I have began to understand this process of change and love.
Because well, this move call is an interesting one. The city is different and
quite honestly not my favorite just yet. The people are very rushed and not so
willing to listen. My Chinese is in no way good, but it is better than my senior
companions so that leads to interesting moments. And we have had a few trials
and challenges.

For example, we have a woman who was to get baptized this week. I went over
there my first day here in Beitun. We sat down and she poured us a drink. My
senior companion started to gulp it right down. Something inside me said not to
drink it and ask what it was. I quietly asked my companion and she said it was
fine just drink it. I went to drink it and had the impression again don't drink
it ask the lady. Well, now this is a tricky position, I just asked my companion
and she said to drink it so how do I ask without stepping on her toes... I
decided ahh, just drink it. And right then as I opened my mouth to drink it the
words came out "zhege yinliao shi shenme dongxi? What is this drink?" The lady
shrugged and said, "red tea and green tea mixed with some milk tea!" I said, "I
am sorry we can't drink this." And she said, "but the last missionaries have
been drinking it." I tried to explain to her about the Word of Wisdom and why it
was that we didn't drink tea. She turned and asked my companion, "you have been
drinking it for the lst two months. Has it done anything to you?" My companion
wasn't sure what to say. We ended up resolving the concern. And the lady has to
get another baptismal interview, but is set to get baptized this coming week.

So in other words the work is hard, but it is so worth it. Moroni 7:33 is my
saving scripture.

I love my mission. I love this opportunity to serve. I love the Lord. I love my
family. I know this church is true. I know that Jesus is our Savior and
Redeemer.

Wo ai nimen!

Sister Shaver


Thank you for the e-mails and letters.

No comments: