Tuesday, February 5, 2008

February 5th Letter--New Presidency

Hello family!

You all are cliffhangers... Pretty much all of you mentioned in your e-mail how
exciting a new presidency is, but none of you said who it was. Mom was the only
who came close by saying it must have been exciting to have talked to President
Uchtdorf. I loved him when I got to talk to him in the MTC. And I absolutely
love his wife. She is the cutest, little spunky thing ever. Her English is
really cute too.

We didn't get to watch the funeral because the satelite was broken. But they are
going to try to find a way to watch part of it sometime. I really hope to get to
see it.

This last week has been good. They changed power week to next week because this
week is Guo Nian or Chinese New Year, the biggest holiday in Taiwan. Everyone is
with their family and says they are too busy, but that is ok. It is a slow week,
but I know as we are diligent, we will see blessings for it next week. Today is
Chinese New Years Eve. Tomorrow is the actual day... it should be fun. There are
lots of superstitions about what you can and can't do, so it is kinda
entertaining to watch people. We've learned a lot about "hongbaos"- red
envelopes. Everyone puts money in them and then gives them to single people or
kids. We only are going to do chocolate coins. And we won't except them unless
someone insists. But it is fun to see people get them and swap them and what
not. P.S. this year is the year of the rat... and how funny is this... it's
Dad's year... mu haha! Just kidding, but it is.

We had two baptisms this weekend. The work is really moving forward here in
Nantou. It has been so amazing to just work and see the Lord take over. He
really has everything in control. Liao Yi Ting is a mom. She has a daughter 5
and and a son 3. They are cute little kids and it makes me so excited to think
about in a few years when they will be baptized! It is fun to see how
generations will be effected by the decision of one. Just like mom and dad...
their decision to be baptized has affected all of us. It is so amazing to me to
just sit and think about it for a second. (I attached the pictures of their
baptisms.) Oh yeah, the other one is Li Yang Rong. She and her boyfriend got
baptized. We taught her and the Elders taught him, so that was kinda fun. They
were living together so they had to move out. It was pretty amazing to see the
faith they had. Hopefully, they will be getting married soon.

Last week, we went and saw a beautiful waterfall. It was so nice to get outside
and hike a bit. I love being outside and just looking at things- so I LOVED THE
WATERFALL. (attached are a couple pictures of it.) Hiking a mile in my skirt and
church shoes wasn't bad at all... probably because I am used to it now. I was a
little worried about it at first.

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I have loved getting the Christmas
stories this last week. It is fun to read them and I often find myself shaking
my head and just laughing as I read them-between Kate and her visits to Vera and
Laura and her brown mucus of a baby. I didn't quite realize how funny and
entertaining my family was... oh boy.

Thank you for remembering me and all your prayers. I can feel the power of them!

I love you all and miss you!

Sister Shaver

No comments: