Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 20 Letter--Hello All!

Hello everyone!

E-mails were amazing this week! So fun to look at all the pictures. Everyone
looks as good as ever. I loved the Asian eyed Morgan and her new favorite drink!
And of course the pictures from Baltimore! I love that everyone is out doing
things.

I feel the most adventurous I've felt on my mission in a long time and it is so
good! Today we went and hiked a mountain. It was so beautiful and there were
lots of cool temples/ buddhist shrines. We took some fun pictures. And in a
minute we are going to go to the ocean. Probably run around in the sand and look
at the water! Should be lots of fun.
This last week has been hard and amazing. My new companion is a learning
experience. And should be good. I am learning a lot about being sensitive and
trying to be more supportive. Probably a lesson most Shaver's have learned- I am
just a little bit of a slow learner- te he he. I am also learning the meaning of
people who love to cry.

My new member, Huang Shou Ying passed away this last week. It was a very
different experience. Her daughter-in-law called us at about 7:30 the other
morning and said she was dying for real and that her husband was in Miaoli and
she needed someone to be there. So I quickly called President Hoer and he said I
needed to go and go as fast as possible. So off we hopped in a taxi and went to
the hospital. When we went in she was struggling for air and unconscious. We
talked with her for awhile and she was still hanging on. At about 9 o'clock her
son arrived. We stepped out and let him talk to her, but then he called us back
in so that they could feel the Spirit. We sang hymns together and than at 9:41
am she passed away. It was neat to be there for the whole experience. And see
the testimonies of this family and the faith they had in the plan of salvation.
It was interesting to see the aftermath too. The doctor at 9:42 came in and
announced the death. And then at 9:44 two man wearing all black came in and
placed her in the white bag. I was a little amazed at how fast it all happened,
but I am glad to have had the experience. And I am also thankful that we know we
will see her again one day so it was just a short parting and not a good-bye.
Her funeral is on Saturday and they have invited me to speak at it. I am a
little nervous, but know that the Lord will help me know what to say to provide
the knowledge and comfort that will be needed. He will be there right by my
side. And I know Huang jiemei will, also, be there encouraging me. So I think
this will be an amazing experience. And am so thankful I have had this chance on
my mission.

I have learned so much on my mission and had so many experiences that I never
expected. I can honestly say my mission has changed me for the better and has
opened my eyes. I am so thankful for this Gospel and the peace and comfort it
brings into our lives. I know the Lord is there. I know that Heavenly Father has
provided us with the Plan of Salvation, the Book of Mormon, Prophets, and so
much more so we can begin to see our divine potential and prepare to live in the
celestial kingdom with God again one day! This should be all of our goals and I
want you to know it is an achievable goal- it will take sacrifice of self (I'm
learning this on my mission and the Lord is being so patient with me and really
giving me lots of experiences to really learn and live this principle of self
sacrifice) and hardwork, but it is so worth it! I can only imagine.
I didn't expect to share so much about that so I think someone might need to
hear that and feel the peace of knowing the Plan of Salvation. So I hope whoever
needed that heart is open.

Well, I love you all! And miss you!

Be good!
Sister Shaver

No comments: