Wednesday, June 4, 2008

June 3 Letter--Hello!

Hello family!

First things first, Happy BIrthday, dad. Hope it is good/ was good! Sorry, I
have been busy lately and a little distracted so I didn't tell you earlier! But
hope it is good.

Everyone sounds to be doing good. I think it is funny that mom and dad have
cows, but no, little horse for Ali. What does she think about that? Has she
asked if she can ride the cows yet? She might have a Kate complex and never know
which is which. He he.

Time is going so fast. I can hardly believe it. Yesterday we had our combined
district training meeting. The part our zone leaders taught was good. It is a
little weird because one of our zone leaders and I hung out whenIwas at 
the university of Utah.
All about getting the fire back and being as excited as when we first got on
island. It was good. Helped me realize the time is short and need to pick it up.
When the assistants did our planner checks, he didn't even look at my planner.
He said I was an old missionary and knew where I needed to improve my planner.
These terms of old are not very fun. I still feel like I 
just got here. Still all the time in 
the world left, right? President 
Hoer’s message to us was interesting.
He doesn't want us to forget that we are people and not robots. He said when Elder
Scott was here that Elder Scott said to make sure to teach us some things
besides missionary work so that when we head home we know what is next in life.
He said a lot of missionaries get home and have no idea what is the next step is
for them. So it was all about families. And the four things the First Presidency
wants us to do in families.
1. to have family prayer (two times a day.)
2. to have scripture study ( once a day at a set time.)
3. to have family home evening (one night a week)
4. to have wholesome family recreational activities.
He said as we do these things we would be in the 10-25% of members who actually
do these things. And that we would be amazing parents. He also talked a lot
about if we do these things and then have a child fall away we can have peace of
mind knowing we did all we could. Pretty important. He, also, said the reason
why the Presidency keeps telling us the same thing about families is because we
aren't doing it yet. He says as soon as we start doing this we will receive knew
revelation. So it seems like we better start doing it!

Sorry my font just changed and I don’t 
know how to change it back.So sorry for
the difference. Oh and it just changed back. Oh to these 1980's computers and
everything being written in Chinese so I have no idea how to do anything.

We have a baptism this Saturday. I am pretty excited. She is a good person. And
will make an awesome member. One of those ones you know will stay not matter
what. That her faith will carry her for trials. I am not sure why, but
I have been thinking about retention 
lately and how important it is for 
missionaries to do it right from the 
beginning so there is retention. 
After the new member gets baptized 
the missionaries kind of get phased 
out, but this phasing out should 
start only after there is a real 
member friend to help. That should 
be happening right from the beginning
 in helping the missionaries teach 
lessons in our homes and inviting 
these people to fhe and other 
activities. I think sometimes we
(missionaries) get in the mindset 
that oh, she is baptized now... now 
it is the ward responsibility when we 
haven’t done all we can to make sure 
they have friends and everything else.
Sorry, that was very random, but I 
think the point of it was that you 
can help us missionaries by asking us
how our teaching is going and if we 
have any investigators who might need 
to have friends. In other words, you 
can make up for us missionary’s 
weaknesses and help us... te he,

Not much has been happening lately. 
Lots of adding of new investigators 
and been pretty busy lately. It is 
kind of nice because we are so busy 
there is no time for daydreaming or 
anything.We have about four or five 
of what we call the eternal 
investigators we are working with. 
They are so close, but not quite 
willing to take the next step. One of 
them is so frustrating to me. I met 
her my first week here in Xinzhu so 
back in February.She was set to get baptized next week. But then
this week when we went to go visit her, she said she didn't want to get baptized. She was
crying as she was telling me and I also was crying. She knows it is true and is choosing not
to accept it. And all of her reasonings are just excuses. She knows she is going to be held
accountable and she is ok with that. I don't get it. So I was a litle bummed
about her and expected not to see her at church on Sunday. Oh no, guess who
should up to church all on her own. She says she will go to church from now to
the day she dies (she's only 40.) But she won't ever be baptized. It kinda made
me laugh. Because I know if she continues to go to church, pray, and read she
will be baptized. So I know one day she will be baptized and can't wait to hear
from her on that day. Just wish she would do it a little faster so she could get
the blessings of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. All in the Lord's time,
right?

Well, Ilove you all! Thanks for all of 
your prayers. I can feel them. Ilove you
all and miss you.

Sister Shaver

No comments: