Wednesday, August 1, 2007

July 31 Letter--Settling Down in Taiwan

Hello family! And friends...

Well, I am in Taiwan and starting to get into the flow of things. A mission is
an amazing thing- it is the most trying and rewarding thing. Mom and Meg, so
remember when I said I didn't know why anyone wouldn't want to go on a mission
with all the promised blessings they have... well, I am finally realizing how
desperately I need those blessings and rely on them. They are a necessity! And I
am so thankful for them. I am so thankful for Jesus the Christ and all He has
done for each one of us. I rely on Him so much and can feel His love for me,
Sister Shaver. I know this is where I need to be and I know I am only having
these struggles and challenges so that my patience and faith can be tried and
can grow so I can be a more effective messenger of truth!

The language is a hard thing. I am studying 24/7 and working so hard and some of
it is sticking. It is pretty exciting when you study words in the morning and
than you hear and understand them during the day. I may only understand one
word, but I learned that word and worked hard for it!

I should probably explain two Chinese phrases, because I have a feeling I will
use them in this e-mail sometime. The first one is "ting bu dong." It means I
hear what you are saying, but I don't understand it. The other one is "ting de
dong." Which is I hear what you are saying and understand it. In a sentence I
usually "ting de dong" about two or three words and "ting bu dong" about twenty.
But I can feel Heavenly Father blessing me and see his tender mercies all around
me.

One day, when I was feeling rather humbled and really was seeking to know if
Heavenly Father was pleased with what I had been doing, I received confirmation
this is the Lord's work and I am doing His will. We were at the grocery store
contacting and I had prayed that morning to be able to say at least one thing to
one person that the Lord had prepared. Well, there was a mom and her baby
getting off their scooter. I hurried over there to share with her. I told her
who I was. And that I was so excited to be in Taiwan and share a message about
the gospel of Jesus Christ. I got the usual response of "wo shi fojiao, bu yong"
or in English "I am Buddhists and don't need." I smiled and said that is good,
but the message I have can bless you and your family. She turned her head and
seemed to be interested for a second. I told her about Joseph Smith and stumbled
through the first vision in Chinese. It was about this point I realized she was
listening and not walking away. I told her we can live as a family for eternity.
And that I would love to come visit with her and her family and share this
message. She said ok. And hesistantly gave me her phone number. (Sidenote: I
should've challenged for baptism, but I forgot. I know--- how do you forget
something like that?) Well, my companion called her and we went and met with her
(since then a few times). She has set a baptismal goal, is reading the Book of
Mormon, knows it is true, and loves the different feeling she gets when she
prays! I am so thankful for Heavenly Father and the opportunity He has given me
to be an instrument in His hands. Wanting to share the Gospel with others is a
good motivation for learning the language... there is no feeling quite like
feeling the Spirit burning within you and have no way of getting it out in
spoken word. It is a very humbling experience and a very motivating one. It is a
hard feeling to explain and one I hope I have only for a short period of time. I
have learned the power of the Spirit in unsaid words and feelings felt. As my
companion teaches sometimes I "ting bu dong" everything, but sitting there
smiling and saying a prayer in my heart, I really believe I add my testimony to
the words spoken.

So to make a long e-mail short! The mission is amazing. The language is hard.
The Lord is blessing me! And I am ready to learn, learn, learn and share.

I love all of you! I love this church. I love this work. I know it is the Lord's
work. I love the people of Taiwan. And I love the fact that I am a MISSIONARY!

Wo ai nimen!

Shao Jiemei.

No comments: