Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 15 Letter--Hello

Hello!


We are e-mailing a little early today because we get to go with the primary
today to go hiking! They just happened to schedule on our preparation day and
invited us! So now we get to go. I am really excited I love the little primary
here and we have three investigators who are going... so that makes it even
better. We are making little missionaries. So it should be a lot of fun and a
lot of fun to get outside. With it being so hot outside it feels like we should
be playing! So today is the day.

Funny story! We have an investigator who is something else. We went to go visit
her yesterday with a member so she could have another friend. We get to her
house and she comes downstairs. She looked like she was going to kill me! She
stared at me and told me she never wanted me to come back. I said ok lets go to
the park and talk. So we start walking to the park. Sister McKinley is trying to
talk to the member (it is only her third move-call so Chinese is still hard.)
and I am trying to just smile as Sister Chen is just yelling at me. So we get to
the park...

Me: Can you introduce yourself to Sister Lu?

Her: No, I DON'T FEEL LIKE IT!

Me: Haha (awkward laughing)

Her: (starting to bawl) Sister Shaver, I am going to have to call the police on
you. If you ever come back here I am calling the police.

Me: Are you willing to read and pray?

Her: No way!

Me: Well, we just want to give you a fair chance so you can know what you are
rejecting.

Her: (hitting me) I know what I am doing.

Me: Ok.

Sister McKinley: blah blah blah blah blah.

Her: (crying and looking like she is going to kill me) But I am already
Christian.

Our Member: (standing behind us doing yoga while complaining about the
mosquitos) Oh, she is already Christian. She doesn't need to be baptized. They
are all the same.

Sister McKinley and me: (eyes huge! and trying not to laugh) NO! Not the SAME!

Sister McKinley: blah blah blah blah.

Me: ( I am getting very very nervous at this point because she is threatening to
call the police and has just hit me.)

Her: Sister Shaver, I thought you were my friend.

Me: WHAT IN THE WORLD? (Shenme dong dong.) It is really fun to say and lightens
a lot of moods!

Her: Sister Shaver, what did you say? (followed by hysterical laughing)

In the end, she was laying her head on shoulder and laughing and joking and just
having a good time. So wow, that was a lot of Sister Chen drama. So we set up
the next time to meet with her and went on our way. Of course, laughing and
joking about the craziness of it. We went through the rest of day and had just a
good time.

Well, we are home and I am doing follow-ups with our district leader when the
house phone rings... Sister McKinley answers and then yells Sister Shaver!

Sister McKinley: It is Sister Chen and she is really bad.

Me: Ok, Hello?

Sister Chen: AHAHAHAHAHAHA (BAWLING, SERIOUSLY UNCONTROLLABLY)

Me: (My thoughts: What do I do?!?! I barely understand Chinese when they are
speaking clearly--- let alone when they are crying and hyper ventilating all at
once.)

Sister Chen: HE THINKS I AM FAT!

Me: (Load of relief, I thought she was like hurt or something awful was
happening and we were going to have to go find her.)

In the end, we established that number one she is a daughter of God. And two
that her husband loves her and that he just didn't know how to show his concern.

And number three that she can exercise with me everyday... she didn't take me up
on the offer... bummer. So needless to say... Sister Chen keeps us busy! Ha ha!

Let's see... thanks everyone for the pictures. They look good. The little
buggers are pretty cute these days. Both the little girls water skiing- that is
fun. And not sharing mom's lap is pretty funny... All need attention from
Grandma. Who doesn't? Oh and I am glad you got the pictures. I just printed out
more so you should be getting more this week. Sister McKinley is a picture
taker. She says she's not, but I have taken more this move-call then any other.

So maybe it is just us together... who knows?

Well, tomorrow is my one year on island! I can't believe I have already been in
Taiwan for a year! Time has flown. After this move-call, Sister Smith and I are
the oldest sisters in the mission... I still feel like I just got here. I have
been looking back and trying to see where I have changed and I am not really
sure. I think it just happens... and don't worry, mom, I have not lost my love
of playing! It is still there--- so start preparing to play! HE HE!

Well, I love you all! and miss you!

Be good!

Sister Shaver


No comments: