Wednesday, July 23, 2008

July 23 Letter--Bronchial Asthma...

Hello family!


I have been sick! I have been coughing and not able to breath and what not for
the last three weeks. So yesterday, we made a trip to the doctor after much
screaming and kicking on my part. The doctor told me I needed to stop smoking. I
informed him I don't smoke and he said oh... well, it turns out the pollution
has gotten to me and I now have asthma. And have a sweet inhaler and it has been
suggested I wear a mask for the next three months. Ha ha, I don't think so! I am
not sure how that would work so well doing street contacting. Sidenote: about
the inhaler... in Chinese it is called a fat fat fish. So now our investigators
are calling me fat fat fish! They think it is FUNNY! And I don't mind now
because when I laugh now I don't start wheezing and coughing. So I am FIXED!


Today was our trip to the temple and it was awesome! I got to sit with my
friend, Sister Smith. She came on island with me and goes to BYU Idaho too. So
0Awe got to sit and talk about all the same things we are going through at the
same time and it was so nice. It was refreshing to know I am not alone!

She is going through a lot of the same exact things. (
Sorry the font keeps changing and I don’t read any of 
the characters to change it back! LAME!I can’t imagine 
never learning how to read.)The temple0itself was amazing.
I felt the energy pouring back into me and felt answers 
to questions that had been weighing me down! Such an 
amazing feeling. If you have the opportunity to go to 
the templ go as often as you can... for your=E Felf and 
for the person you would be helping! What an amazing way 
to serve. One of the sisters in our ward here in Xinzhu 
works in the temple, so I asked if we would be able to 
see her on Wednesday and she said she was going to
be working. But in the end, today she came because she 
said she couldn’t bear the feeling of missing the Spirit 
that she would feel in the temple and the feeling she 
would have with the missionaries. It was so humbling to 
me.Here is a woman that works in the temple almost every single morning and still
respects it so much and took her one day of rest to come to the temple with us!
I love that woman.


I love the people of Xinzhu... we had combined district training meeting and
interviews with President Hoer. I now know why I was supposed to serve
in Xinzhu. In my interview, President Hoer asked me,"How do you 
like Xinzhu?" And I responded in tears that I loved it.I had 
no idea that that would be my first response. I realiz
d I had to serve in Xinzhu for so long so I could learn 
to love the people. The members, the investigators, the 
people that reject me on street  corners,I have come to love them.
Some of them have even rejected me multiple times and ask me how my family is and tell me my
Chinese gets better and better each time they see me. I wish they would come to church one of
these days, but I know that I am leaving an impression and I know that they need these
opportunities. So I had my interview with President Hoer and then prepared for planner checks.
Planner checks are something... pretty much the assistants pick up your planner. Tells you how
bad it is and that if you want to baptize or if you had faith your planner would be better.
And then throw your planner on the ground. So needless to say they are quite the enjoyable
experience. (P.S. Your planner could be perfect and that would still happen. I am obsessed
with mine and it has happened.) Well, we have a new assistant now. And before the 
planner check,I said a little prayer and asked the Lord to help me love my leaders
because sometimes it is hard. He picked up my planner and praised it. Shock number one!
He then told me he could tell I loved my investigators from it. Shock number two! And shock
number three! He told me he respected me as a missionary and said that he knew I was a Preach
My Gospel missionary.And then shared with me in Preachmy Gospel the
part that talks about no effort is wasted. He told me that he knew I was not wasting anyone's
time. And just went on to share with me his conversion story... so there he is crying telling
me how he was converted and how he wasn't baptized with his first set of missionaries, but he
still remembers their testimonies no matter how hard he tries to forget and remember the other
missionary's testimonies. And there I am crying because before the check I am feeling a little
bit like I have been in Xinzhu too long and feeling a little rejected. He went on to tell me
that my testimony in Xinzhu will not be forgotten. And that I am touching these lives of our
investigators even when they chose to exercise their agency. So Heavenly Father also answered
my prayer to be able to love my leaders... hey, it is pretty easy to love them when they
are prasing you... =) But now it will really make it easier when he corrects me to know that
it is sincere and to help me be a better instrument in the Lord's hands. So combined district
meeting was a huge boost to me! More so how I imagined them to be before my mission. So good.


Well, I love you all... and hope you don't find the font too annoying.I love you all 
and miss you. Be good! Pray and read! Wo ai nimen!


Sister Shaver



No comments: