Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 21st Letter

Hello family,

This last week has been F-U-N!

#1. We had a baptism on Saturday for a woman named Xie Li Lin. She is precious.
She is about 45 and amazing. Her husband is a drunk bum and she does
everything. She was feeling really down on herself and like quitting. Then she
met us, the missionaries, and now SHE IS HAPPY! She said since her baptism she
has been so happy with herself that she has been able to forget herself and help
her husband. Her husband invited us over for dinner tomorrow. We are really
excited for that... maybe we can help him come unto Christ!

#2. We had exchanges this week. I went to the "Dirty South" as they call it here
in Taiwan. It is a little little town called Huwei. It was an amazing day. I saw
more miracles in that one day than weeks combined. I met a less active mom on
the corner who wants to come back to church and have her two children baptized.
She told me she just didn't know how to come back or go about it. Then I met a
lady on the corner who goes to church every week and isn't a member. Everyone
just assumed she was. She accepted the invitation to be baptized this week. So
pretty much it was one of those days that is like YEAH! THIS IS WHAT IT IS
ABOUT! IT'S THE LORD'S WORK! My companion for the 24 hours was so awesome. Her
name is Sister Strong. She is from Hawaii. And crazy! She is really obedient and
yet really fun. It was really good to see the combination of the two together
and to see what success one can have off of it. The only bad, but then good part
of the day was the running in the morning. We usually run every other day for
thirty minutes. Well, the zone leaders decided for "training purposes" that we
needed to run for a full hour. Which meant waking up half an hour earlier and
running for AN HOUR. I don't think I have ever really ran straight without
stopping for an hour. I was a little nervous about it, but knew I had to do it.
Well, we ran for the full hour and I ran 25 laps- hence the 6 and 1/4 miles. I
think that might just be the farthest I've ever run in my life. And yes, I am
thankful today is preparation day!

#3. The Lord's work is amazing. He really is preparing people everywhere for the
Gospel. I am amazed when I met some of these people and they just get it. And
just understand and are ready to live it. One of these examples is one of the
baptisms we have this coming week--- her name is Candy Lin. She is about 45. She
has been to church every week since she met us, the missionaries. She is really
busy being a mom and a school teacher, so she has only met with us once. But
that is ok because she didn't need us. She has had no problem with anything.
When we were preparing her for her baptismal interview, we told her there is a
lot we haven't taught you yet that he will teach you. We were a little nervous
she wouldn't be willing to keep the commandments we had not yet taught her, oh
but no! She came out of the interview so happy. She felt like her prayers had
been answered. She had been praying to know to help give back to the church and
in that interview she was taught the law of tithing. And was so excited to give
back to the church and help build up the Kingdom of God. MIRACLE!

#4. I know without a doubt the Lord hears and answers prayers. I know He has the
power to change our hearts and our desires. I have really been trying to change
lately and I know the only reason why I have is because the power of prayer and
the power of the Lord. Of course, we have to be willing and have to do our part,
but the Lord will make up for so much of it. Our mission has a theme- probably
along with every other mission in the world- of "every second a progressing
missionary" (aka.ESPM.) The time in the mission field is oh so short and not a
second can be wasted. We really do need to be constantly progressing. I believe
that that is true in whatever phase in life we are. Every second we need to be
becoming better. I know it is easier said then done. That is why I am so
thankful for the Atonement and the opportunity to repent when I've wasted time
and made mistakes. The same is true with repentance we can repent at whatever
phase in life we are!

#5. I LOVE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. I LOVE THE CHURCH! I LOVE THE WORD OF
GOD--- THE BOOK OF MORMON. I LOVE THAT WE HAVE MODERN PROPHETS TO LEAD AND GUIDE
US. I KNOW WE CAN FIND MORE HAPPINESS WITHIN THE GOPSEL THAN FROM ANYTHING ELSE.
KNOW IT. OWN IT. LIVE IT!

I love you all and miss you much. I am glad to hear everyone is doing so well.
Be good!

Sister Shaver

No comments: