Monday, March 31, 2008

March 31 Letter-I have no companion

Hello family!

It is a new move-call. And I didn't move this time, but I am without a companion
for a day and a half. So I am having a member stay with me today and then a
different one spending the night and then one taking me to Taizhong tomorrow so
I can get my new companion. My new companion is a short term missionary. Which
means she will be a missionary for only six weeks. I am a little nervous because
this is her whole mission. She won't ever have a different companion. I met her
when I was serving in Shalu. She was actually the first baptism I saw in Taiwan
and now she is coming to be my companion! How cool is that? So it should be an
exciting move-call. She is a new member of July. She is 34 years old. She
doesn't speak any English. So should help my Chinese a ton. Which it needs.
Lately, my Chinese has been getting worse and worse... so I need to pick it up
and start studying more. We've just been so busy. We haven't even been taking
meal brakes. We are getting good at eating at lights. We would be good at riding
and eating at the same time, but Sister Hoer just made a new rule of not being
able to take our hands of the handle bars- bet mom appreciates that.

This move-call we have a mission conference and guess who is our speaker? Elder
RICHARD G SCOTT! How amazing is that! I will get to shake his hand... and even
cooler my companion will too. We, also, have the temple trip, General
conference, mother's day, my year mark-tear, my birthday and so much more this
move-call. I am looking forward to all the excitement!

Mom asked me about General Conference. Well, to answer, since I didn't even know
this week was general conference I am not sure what we are doing for it. I will
have a native companion, so I might have to watch it in Chinese and then read
the Ensign. She asked if the church was close to our house or if we rode our
bikes... Well, now that I have a sweet odometer I can answer that- sidenote:
this last move-call we rode over 300 miles. From our house to the church is a
little over a mile and a half so we ride our bikes. We usually have a few houses
we stop at on the way and ride with them to church- it is pretty fun... It is
like a train. We stop and pick up one scooter and then another and then another.
So by the time we pull into church there are these two foreign girls on bikes
with like five scooters behind them. No wonder people self contact us.

Well, I am loving life as a missionary! I wouldn't trade it for anything! I know
that this church is true. I see the light it turns on in people and nothing else
could do that. I know that Jesus Christ is there by my side helping me. There
are times when I am talking and words are coming out that make no sense, but
somehow the investigator understands. I know it is because that is the Spirit
communicating to their Spirit. It has nothing to do with me or even any words I
am saying... how amazing a feeling is that. Being a missionary is such a
humbling experience. There are so many things I see now that I wish I had done
differently before, but that is the power of the Atonement and change. Because
of the Atonement I personally can change and become better everyday. I have so
far to go and sometimes it is so hard, but how much better it is for everyone!

My time is quickly closing... but I love you all and am missing you all. Mom
told me she hugged the sister missionaries the other day and she felt like she
was hugging me. Funny thing is lately, I have started to hug everyone. Taiwanese
people are not huggers, so the first few times it is really awkward, but now
they know they are stuck hugging Shao Jiemei. And they are starting to love it.
Last night after our lesson, we got up to leave and I was almost to the door
when the lady asked me if I forgot something. I thought my scriptures? And she
said no. bao wo yixia! Which is hug me! So mom I am glad you are hugging the
sisters because I am hugging you.

I love you all!
Wo feichang ai nimen!

Sister Shaver...

No comments: